system-config-printer package man-in-the-middle
|systemconfigprinter-packages-mitm (71394)||Medium Risk|
The system-config-printer package is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack, caused by use of an insecure connection by the cupshelpers scripts. A remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability using man-in-the-middle techniques to install altered packages and repositories.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Ubuntu Security Notice USN-1265-1: system-config-printer vulnerability.
- null: http://cyberelk.net/tim/software/system-config-printer/.
- BID-50721: system-config-printer Package OpenPrinting Database Man in The Middle Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-4405: The cupshelpers scripts in system-config-printer in Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10, as used by the automatic printer driver download service, uses an insecure connection for queries to the OpenPrinting database, which allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a man-in-the-middle (MITM) attack that modifies packages or repositories.
- OSVDB ID: 77214: system-config-printer cupshelper OpenPrinting Database Query MitM Package Installation Spoofing
- system-config-printer system-config-printer 1.0
- system-config-printer system-config-printer 1.1.3
Nov 17, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.