Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey DOMAttrModified code execution
|firefox-domattrmodified-code-exec (71910)||High Risk|
Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, and SeaMonkey could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by an error in the SVG implementation related to the removal of SVG elements during a DOMAttrModified event handler. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web site, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to trigger an out-of-bounds memory access and execute arbitrary code on the vulnerable system or cause a denial of service.
Refer to MFSA 2011-55 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- MFSA 2011-55: nsSVGValue out-of-bounds access.
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [05-09-2012]: Firefox 7/8 (<= 8.0.1) nsSVGValue Out-of-Bounds Access Vulnerability.
- The Pale Moon Project: Pale Moon: Release notes for version 11.
- ZDI-12-056: Mozilla Firefox nsSVGValue Out-of-Bounds Access Remote Code Execution Vulnerability.
- BID-51138: Mozilla Firefox/Thunderbird/SeaMonkey Out of Bounds Memory Corruption Vulnerability
- CVE-2011-3658: The SVG implementation in Mozilla Firefox 8.0, Thunderbird 8.0, and SeaMonkey 2.5 does not properly interact with DOMAttrModified event handlers, which allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (out-of-bounds memory access) or possibly have unspecified other impact via vectors involving removal of SVG elements.
- OSVDB ID: 77953: Mozilla Multiple Products DOMAttrModified nsSVGValue Observer Handling Out-of-bounds Memory Access Remote Code Execution
- SA47302: Mozilla Firefox / Thunderbird Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA47334: Mozilla SeaMonkey Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA48823: Pale Moon Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Mozilla Firefox 8.0
- Mozilla Seamonkey 2.5
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.0
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.1
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.10
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.11
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.12
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.2
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.3
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.4
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.5
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.6
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.7
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.8
- Mozilla Thunderbird 3.1.9
- Mozilla Thunderbird 5.0
- Mozilla Thunderbird 6.0
- Mozilla Thunderbird 7.0
- Mozilla Thunderbird 8.0
Dec 20, 2011
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.