RealServer pnserver malformed request denial of service
|realserver-pnserver-remote-dos (7297)||Medium Risk|
RealNetworks RealServer is vulnerable to a denial of service attack. If a remote attacker connects to the pnserver using Telnet and sends short specially-malformed requests, the attacker can cause the server to crash. The server must be restarted to regain normal functionality.
Denial of Service
Apply the RealServer 5.01 update for your system, as listed in RealServer 5.0 Frequently Asked Questions. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 17 Aug 1998 15:03:10: Re: Real Audio Server Version 5 bug?.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu, 15 Jan 1998 21:22:43 -0600: pnserver exploit...
- Real.com Support: RealServer 5.0 Frequently Asked Questions.
- CVE-1999-1045: pnserver in RealServer 5.0 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service by sending a short, malformed request.
- OSVDB ID: 6979: RealServer pnserver Malformed Request DoS
- Real RealServer 5.0
Jan 15, 1998
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this