Scientific Toolworks Understand wintab32.dll code execution
|scientific-toolworks-dll-code-execution (73057)||High Risk|
Scientific Toolworks Understand could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system. The application does not directly specify the fully qualified path to a dynamic-linked library (wintab32.dll) when running on Microsoft Windows. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted an Understand Project file (.UDB) from a WebDAV or SMB share using a vulnerable application, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability via a specially-crafted library to execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of Scientific Toolworks Understand (2.6.600 Build 600 or later), available from the Scientific Toolworks Web site. See References.
- Packet Storm Web site: SciTools Understand 2.6 DLL Loading Code Execution.
- Scientific Toolworks Web site: Scientific Toolworks Understand.
- BID-51910: Scientific Toolworks Understand 'wintab32.dll' DLL Loading Arbitrary Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-4755: Untrusted search path vulnerability in SciTools Understand before 2.6 build 600 allows local users to gain privileges via a Trojan horse wintab32.dll file in the current working directory, as demonstrated by a directory that contains a .udb file. NOTE: some of these details are obtained from third party information.
- OSVDB ID: 78986: SciTools Understand Path Subversion Arbitrary DLL Injection Code Execution
- SA47921: SciTools Understand Insecure Library Loading Vulnerability
- Scientific Toolworks, Inc. Scientific Toolworks Understand 2.6 build 598
Feb 08, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.