IBM Personal Communications pcspref.dll buffer overflow
|pcom-pcspref-bo (73127)||High Risk|
IBM Personal Communications is vulnerable to a stack-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by pcspref.dll. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted WorkStation (.ws) file, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of IBM Personal Communications (6.0.4 or later), available from the IBM Web site. See References.
- IBM Security Bulletin 1586166: Security Bulletin: IBM Personal Communications WorkStation file Buffer Overflow Vulnerability (CVE-2012-0201).
- IBM Web site: Fix Central.
- Offensive Security Exploit Database [02-29-2012]: IBM Personal Communications I-Series Access WorkStation 5.9 Profile.
- BID-52200: IBM Personal Communications '.ws' File 'pcspref.dll' Remote Stak Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-0201: Stack-based buffer overflow in pcspref.dll in pcsws.exe in IBM Personal Communications 5.9.x before 5.9.8 and 6.0.x before 6.0.4 might allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long profile string in a WorkStation (aka .ws) file.
- OSVDB ID: 79657: IBM Personal Communications pcspref.dll WorkStation Profile .ws File Handling Remote Overflow
- SA48185: IBM Personal Communications WS File Processing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- IBM Personal Communications 5.9
- IBM Personal Communications 6.0
Feb 28, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.