IrfanView .dib, .rle, and .bmp file buffer overflow
|irfanview-dibrlebmp-bo (74452)||High Risk|
IrfanView is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking when parsing certain bitmap files. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted dib, .rle, or .bmp file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of IrfanView (4.33 or later), available from the IrfanView Web site. See References.
- IrfanView History of changes: Version 4.33 ( - CURRENT VERSION - ).
- BID-52806: IrfanView Bitmap File Remote Heap Based Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-5904: Heap-based buffer overflow in IrfanView before 4.33 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted RLE compressed bitmap file such as a DIB, RLE, or BMP image.
- OSVDB ID: 80716: IrfanView Boundary Error Multiple Image File Handling Remote Overflow
- SA47333: IrfanView Multiple Buffer Overflow Vulnerabilities
- Irfanview IrfanView 4.30
Mar 28, 2012
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.