nginx ngx_http_mp4_module.c buffer overflow
|nginx-ngxhttpmp4module-bo (74831)||High Risk|
nginx is vulnerable to a buffer overflow, caused by improper bounds checking by the ngx_http_mp4_module.c. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted mp4 file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges or cause the application to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of nginx (1.0.15 or 1.1.19 or later), available from the nginx Web site. See References.
- nginx Web site: nginx.
- Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 812093 Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 812093: CVE-2012-2089 nginx: arbitrary code execution in mp4 pseudo-streaming module.
- BID-52999: nginx 'ngx_http_mp4_module.c' Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-2089: Buffer overflow in ngx_http_mp4_module.c in the ngx_http_mp4_module module in nginx 1.0.7 through 1.0.14 and 1.1.3 through 1.1.18, when the mp4 directive is used, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory overwrite) or possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted MP4 file.
- OSVDB ID: 81339: nginx ngx_http_mp4_module Module Atom MP4 File Handling Remote Overflow
- SA48827: nginx ngx_http_mp4_module Module Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Igor Sysoev Nginx 1.0.14
- Igor Sysoev Nginx 1.0.17
- Igor Sysoev Nginx 1.0.8
- Igor Sysoev Nginx 1.0.9
Apr 12, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.