HP 9000 large user and group IDs privilege escalation
|hp-large-uid-gid (7594)||High Risk|
Some programs on HP 9000 series 700/800 systems running HP-UX do not properly interpret UIDs and GIDs greater than 60000. An attacker could use a vulnerable program to gain privileges, including root access.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Hewlett-Packard Security Bulletin HPSBUX9611-041. See References
Note: Scan and examine your systems for suid files that may not be safe for a large UID/GID system. Certify that all program are safe to use in large UID/GID systems. Remove or restrict execute privileges for programs that may be unsafe.
- CIAC Information Bulletin H-09: HP 9000 Access Vulnerability.
- CIAC Information Bulletin H-91: HP-UX Large UID's and GID's Vulnerability.
- FedCIRC Advisory 97.47: HP-UX Large UID's and GID's Vulnerability.
- Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX9611-041: Vulnerability with Large UID's and GID's in HP-UX 10.20. (From Codetalker archive)
- CVE-1999-1308: Certain programs in HP-UX 10.20 do not properly handle large user IDs (UID) or group IDs (GID) over 60000, which could allow local users to gain privileges.
- OSVDB ID: 9606: HP-UX Unspecified Program Large UID/GID Local Privilege Escalation
- HP HP-UX 10.20
Nov 21, 1996
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this