Winsock RSHD/NT daemon standard connection error data denial of service
|winsock-rshdnt-error-dos (7694)||Medium Risk|
Winsock RSHD/NT is vulnerable to a denial of service attack. If a remote attacker establishes a connection to the daemon using an rsh command, but specifies an invalid port number to send error data, Winsock RSHD/NT would then attempt to connect to the invalid port followed by connection attempts to all ports below 1025, which would result in 100% CPU usage.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of RSHD/NT (2.21.03 or later), available from the Denicomp systems Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Dec 08 2001 - 08:24:48 CST: Winsock RSHD/NT 2.20.00 CPU overusage when invalid data is send.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Dec 13 2001 - 07:46:34 CST: WRSHDNT 2.21.00 CPU overusage.
- Denicomp Systems Web site: Winsock RSHD/NT.
- Denicomp Systems Web site: Products.
- BID-3659: Denicomp Winsock RSHD/NT Standard Error Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1184: wrshdsp.exe in Denicomp Winsock RSHD/NT 2.21.00 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) via (1) in 2.20.00 and earlier, an invalid port number such as a negative number, which causes a connection attempt to that port and all ports below 1024, and (2) in 2.21.00, a port number of 1024.
- OSVDB ID: 14179: Denicomp Winsock RSHD/NT wrshdsp.exe Malformed Port Number DoS
- Denicomp Winsock RSHD/NT 2.20
- Denicomp Winsock RSHD/NT 2.21
Dec 08, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this