XSane temp files symlink
|xsane-temp-symlink (7714)||Medium Risk|
The XSane package in some Unix distributions could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. The XSane package creates temporary files with predictable file names in the /tmp directory during the scanning process. A local attacker can create symbolic links to any file that is write-accessible to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
This vulnerability also affects the SANE package in some distributions.
For FreeBSD ports collection: Upgrade to the latest version of XSane (0.82 or later), as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-01:68. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 7.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of SANE (1.0.3-2.1 or later) and XSANE (0.82-2.1 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux Errata Advisory RHSA-2001:171-11. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 7.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of SANE (1.0.3-10.1 or later) and XSANE (0.82-3.1 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux Errata Advisory RHSA-2001:171-11. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 7.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of SANE (1.0.5-4.1 or later) and XSANE (0.82-3.1 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux Errata Advisory RHSA-2001:171-11. See References.
For Conectiva Linux:
Upgrade to the latest sane package, as listed below. Refer to Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:769 for more information. See References.
Conectiva Linux 7.0: 1.0.4-3U70_1cl or later
Conectiva Linux 8: 1.0.6-3U80_1cl or later
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- Conectiva Linux Security Announcement CLSA-2003:769: sane.
- FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-01:68: xsane port uses insecure temporary file handling.
- BID-3700: xSANE Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- BID-3987: SANE Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-0887: xSANE 0.81 and earlier allows local users to modify files of other xSANE users via a symlink attack on temporary files.
- CVE-2001-0890: Certain backend drivers in the SANE library 1.0.3 and earlier, as used in frontend software such as XSane, allows local users to modify files via a symlink attack on temporary files.
- DSA-118: xsane -- insecure temporary files
- OSVDB ID: 13983: SANE Library Backend Driver Symlink Arbitrary File Modification
- OSVDB ID: 2005: xSANE Symlink Arbitrary File Modification
- RHSA-2001-171: Updated SANE and XSane packages fix temporary file handling vulnerabilities
- RHSA-2001-172: Updated SANE and XSane packages fix temporary file handling vulnerabilities
- Conectiva Linux 7.0
- Conectiva Linux 8.0
- FreeBSD FreeBSD Ports Collection
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux Powertools 6.2
- SANE mailing list SANE
Dec 17, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this