GraphicsMagick PNG denial of service
|graphicsmagick-png-dos (77259)||Medium Risk|
GraphicsMagick is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by a casting error when parsing PNG images. By persuading a victim to open a specially-crafted PNG image, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the application to crash.
Denial of Service
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, available from the GraphicsMagick Mercurial Repository. See References.
- GraphicsMagick Mercurial Repository: coders/png.c: Some typecasts were inconsistent with libpng-1.4 and later..
- GraphicsMagick Web site: GraphicsMagick News.
- Red Hat Bugzilla Bug 844105: CVE-2012-3438 GraphicsMagick: png_IM_malloc() size argument.
- BID-54716: GraphicsMagick 'png_IM_malloc()' Function Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-3438: The Magick_png_malloc function in coders/png.c in GraphicsMagick 6.7.8-6 does not use the proper variable type for the allocation size, which might allow remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via a crafted PNG file that triggers incorrect memory allocation.
- OSVDB ID: 84323: GraphicsMagick PNG Image Handling Casting Error DoS
- SA50090: GraphicsMagick PNG Image Parsing Denial of Service Vulnerability
- GraphicsMagick GraphicsMagick 1.3.16
Jul 30, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.