HP-UX rlpdaemon allows an attacker to create log files
|hp-rlpd-create-log (7729)||Medium Risk|
The rlpdaemon in HP-UX could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges. A local attacker can create arbitrary files on the system if the rlpdaemon is executed using the -i, -l, and -L flags. By default, the rlpdaemon is setuid root.
For HP-UX 10.20:
Apply the PHCO_25109 patch, as listed in Hewlett-Packard Security Bulletin HPSBUX0111-176. See References.
For HP-UX 11.00:
Apply the PHCO_25110 patch, as listed in Hewlett-Packard Security Bulletin HPSBUX0111-176. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Dec 14 2001 - 22:48:47 CST: HP-UX setuid rlpdaemon induced to make illicit file writes.
- Hewlett-Packard Company Security Bulletin HPSBUX0111-176: Sec. Vulnerability in rlpdaemon. (From SecurityFocus archive.)
- BID-3701: HP-UX RLPDaemon Arbitrary Log File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1198: RLPDaemon in HP-UX 10.20 and 11.0 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files and gain privileges by specifying the target file in the -L option.
- OSVDB ID: 9624: HP-UX RLPDaemon -L Option Arbitrary File Overwrite Privilege Escalation
- HP HP-UX 10.20
- HP HP-UX 11.00
Dec 15, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this