PFinger ".plan" format string
|pfinger-plan-format-string (7742)||High Risk|
PFinger is vulnerable to a format string attack. A remote attacker could create a malicious '.plan' file to execute arbitrary code on a PFinger client or server. By default, PFinger is installed as user 'nobody'.
Upgrade to the latest version of PFinger (0.7.8 or later), available from the PFinger Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Dec 20 2001 - 12:39:52 CST: [CERT-intexxia] pfinger Format String Vulnerability.
- PFinger Web site: Download Pfinger.
- BID-3725: PFinger Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2001-1215: Format string vulnerability in PFinger 0.7.5 through 0.7.7 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via format string specifiers in a .plan file.
- OSVDB ID: 2009: PFinger .plan Format String Arbitrary Code Execution
- Michael Baumer PFinger 0.7.7 and prior
Dec 18, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this