Calligra Words styles.cpp buffer overflow
|calligra-styles-bo (77482)||High Risk|
Calligra Words is vulnerable to a heap-based buffer overflow, caused by an error in read() function in the styles.cpp script when processing ODF styles. By persuading a vicitim to open a specially-crafted ODF file, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the application to crash.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, available from the Calligra GIT Repository Web site. See References.
- Calligra GIT Repository Web Site: Calligra/Building - KDE Community Wiki.
- Calligra Words Web Site: Calligra Words | Calligra Suite.
- Charlie Miller: Exploring the NFC Attack Surface.
- BID-54816: Alligra Calligra Heap Based Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-3455: Heap-based buffer overflow in the read function in filters/words/msword-odf/wv2/src/styles.cpp in the Microsoft import filter in KOffice 2.3.3 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (application crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a crafted ODF style in an ODF document. NOTE: this is the same vulnerability as CVE-2012-3456, but it was SPLIT by the CNA even though Calligra and KOffice share the same codebase.
- OSVDB ID: 84654: KOffice filters/words/msword-odf/wv2/src/styles.cpp read() Function ODF File Handling Overflow
- SA50050: Calligra Words ODF Style Parsing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- SA50199: KOffice KWord ODF Style Parsing Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- Calligra Calligra Words 2.4.3
Jul 13, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.