Compaq Integration Maintenance Utility installation using SmartStart modifies the legal notice
|compaq-smartstart-legal-notice (7763)||Low Risk|
During the Compaq Integration Maintenance Utility installation using SmartStart, the LegalNoticeCaption and LegalNoticeText registry key values are modified. This could cause a violation of the security policy.
Upgrade to the latest version of SmartStart (5.2 or later), available from Compaq Support. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed, 1 Sep 1999 18:07:32 -0700: Compaq CIM UG Overwrites Legal Notice.
- Compaq Web site: CONTACT SUPPORT.
- Compaq Web site: Compaq SmartStart for Servers.
- NTBugTraq Mailing List, Fri, 17 Sep 1999 07:13:33 -0500: Re: Compaq CIM UG Overwrites Legal Notice.
- CVE-1999-1356: Compaq Integration Maintenance Utility as used in Compaq Insight Manager agent before SmartStart 4.50 modifies the legal notice caption (LegalNoticeCaption) and text (LegalNoticeText) in Windows NT, which could produce a legal notice that is in violation of the security policy.
- OSVDB ID: 7692: Compaq Integration Maintenance Utility Legal Notice Modification
- Compaq SmartStart 4.40
Sep 01, 1999
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this