Oracle Java Runtime Environment sandbox code execution
|oracle-jre-sandbox-code-exec (77972)||High Risk|
Oracle Java Runtime Environment could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system. By persuading a victim to visit a specially-crafted Web site containing a malicious Java applet, an attacker could exploit this vulnerability to bypass sandbox restrictions to download and execute arbitrary code outside the sandbox.
Refer to Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-4681 for patch, upgrade, or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for patch or upgrade information.
- EDB-ID: 20865: Java 7 Applet Remote Code Execution.
- FireEye Malware Intelligence Lab Blog - 2012.08.26: Zero-Day Season is Not Over Yet.
- IBM Security Alerts: Oracle August 2012 Security Alert.
- IBM Security Protection Alert 454: Oracle Java Runtime Environment Sandbox Code Execution.
- Oracle Web site: Oracle Security Alert for CVE-2012-4681.
- Packet Storm Web site: Java 7 Applet Remote Code Execution.
- SecurityStreet Metasploit Blog - Aug 27, 2012 3:36:09 AM: Let's start the week with a new Java 0day.
- BID-55213: Oracle Java Runtime Environment Remote Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-4681: Multiple vulnerabilities in the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) component in Oracle Java SE 7 Update 6 and earlier allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a crafted applet that bypasses SecurityManager restrictions by (1) using com.sun.beans.finder.ClassFinder.findClass and leveraging an exception with the forName method to access restricted classes from arbitrary packages such as sun.awt.SunToolkit, then (2) using reflection with a trusted immediate caller to leverage the getField method to access and modify private fields, as exploited in the wild in August 2012 using Gondzz.class and Gondvv.class.
- RHSA-2012-1223: Important: java-1.7.0-openjdk security update
- RHSA-2012-1225: Critical: java-1.7.0-oracle security update
- RHSA-2012-1289: Critical: java-1.7.0-ibm security update
- SA50133: Oracle Java Unspecified Code Execution Vulnerability
- SA50545: Apple Mac OS X update for Java
- SA50607: IBM Java 7 Multiple Vulnerabilities
- US-CERT VU#636312: Oracle Java JRE 1.7 Expression.execute() and SunToolkit.getField() fail to restrict access to privileged code
- IBM Java 7.0
- Oracle JRE 1.7.0 Update6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Server
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 6 Workstation
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Desktop Supplementary 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux HPC Node Supplementary 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Server Supplementary 6
- RedHat Enterprise Linux Workstation Supplementary 6
Aug 27, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.