Crowbar Ohai plugin privilege escalation
|crowbar-privilege-escalation (78041)||High Risk|
Crowbar could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges on the system, caused by the use of temporary files in an insecure manner by the Ohai plugin. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, available from the Crowbar GIT Repository. See References.
- Crowbar GIT Repository: Crowbar.
- oss-sec mailing list, Mon, 27 Aug 2012 17:31:13 +0200: CVE request: crowbar ohai plugin: local privilege (root) escalation due to insecure tmp file handling.
- BID-55240: Dell 'Crowbar ohai' Plugin Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-3537: The Crowbar Ohai plugin (chef/cookbooks/ohai/files/default/plugins/crowbar.rb) in the Deployer Barclamp in Crowbar, possibly 1.4 and earlier, allows local users to execute arbitrary shell commands via vectors related to insecure handling of tmp files and predictable file names.
- OSVDB ID: 84955: Crowbar Ohai Plugin Temporary File Local Privilege Escalation
- SA50442: Crowbar Ohai Plugin Insecure Temporary Files Security Issue
- Dell CloudEdge Solutions Team Crowbar
Aug 27, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.