Fedora Project rpmdevtools and Debian devscripts TOCTOU symlink
|rpmdevtools-toctou-symlink (78230)||Medium Risk|
Fedora Project rpmdevtools and Debian devscripts could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by a TOCTOU race condition. The annotate-output tool creates temporary files insecurely. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- Debian Web Site: Debian -- The Universal Operating System.
- Fedora Project Web site: rpmdevtools.
- Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 848022: CVE-2012-3500 rpmdevtools: TOCTOU race condition in annotate-output .
- BID-55358: Multiple Products CVE-2012-3500 Temporary File Handling Security Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-3500: scripts/annotate-output.sh in devscripts before 2.12.2, as used in rpmdevtools before 8.3, allows local users to modify arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the temporary (1) standard output or (2) standard error output file.
- DSA-2549: devscripts -- multiple vulnerabilities
- SA50600: Debian update for devscripts
- Debian devscripts 2.10.35
- Debian devscripts 2.9.25
- Debian devscripts 2.9.26
- Fedora Project rpmdevtools
Aug 31, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.