Caldera UnixWare CDE dtlogin error log directory /var/dt/ symlink
|unixware-dtlogin-log-symlink (7864)||Medium Risk|
The CDE dtlogin utility in Caldera UnixWare logs errors to the /var/dt/Xerrors file with 777 permissions. A local attacker could create a symbolic link from /var/dt/Xerrors to any file on the system, which would be overwritten once a unsuccessful remote login occurs. An attacker could use this vulnerability to overwrite critical system files and cause a denial of service or gain elevated privileges on the system.
No remedy available as of August 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Jan 08 2002 - 00:13:59 CST: CDE bug in Unixware 7.1.
- BID-3818: UnixWare CDE DTLogin Log Directory Insecure Permissions Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0105: CDE dtlogin in Caldera UnixWare 7.1.0, and possibly other operating systems, allows local users to gain privileges via a symlink attack on /var/dt/Xerrors since /var/dt is world-writable.
- OSVDB ID: 9331: SCO UnixWare dtlogin Xerrors Symlink Privilege Escalation
- SCO Caldera UnixWare 7.1.0
Jan 08, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this