Apple iOS CoreMedia CVE-2012-3722 code execution
|apple-ios-coremedia-cve20123722 (78715)||High Risk|
An error in Apple iOS CoreMedia related to an uninitialized memory access in the handling of Sorenson encoded movie files could allow an attacker to cause an application crash or execute arbitrary code on the system.
Refer to Apple Article: HT5503 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- Apple KB HT5501: About the security content of OS X Mountain Lion v10.8.2, OS X Lion v10.7.5 and Security Update 2012-004.
- Apple KB HT5503: About the security content of iOS 6.
- CVE-2012-3722: The Sorenson codec in QuickTime in Apple Mac OS X before 10.7.5, and in CoreMedia in iOS before 6, accesses uninitialized memory locations, which allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service (application crash) via a crafted movie file with Sorenson encoding.
- OSVDB ID: 85649: Apple Mac OS X QuickTime Sorenson Encoded Movie File Handling Arbitrary Code Execution
- SA50586: Apple iOS Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Apple iOS 5 iPad
- Apple iOS 5 iPhone
- Apple iOS 5 iPod touch
- Apple Mac OS X 10.6
- Apple Mac OS X Server 10.6
Sep 19, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.