Linux groff preprocessor buffer overflow
|linux-groff-preprocessor-bo (7881)||High Risk|
The groff package is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the preprocessor. If the line printer daemon (lpd) is running, a remote attacker could send a specially-crafted print request to the groff preprocessor using the LPRng printing system to overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary commands on the system with privileges of the lp user.
For Red Hat Linux 7.0:
Upgrade to the latest version of groff (1.16-7.1 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux Errata Advisory RHSA-2002:004-07. See References.
For Red Hat Linux 7.1 and 7.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of groff (1.17.2-7.0.2 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux Errata Advisory RHSA-2002:004-07. See References.
For Mandrake Linux 7.2, 8.0, and Single Network Firewall 7.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of groff (1.16.1-7.2mdk or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:012 : groff. See References.
For Mandrake Linux 8.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of groff (1.17.2-3.3mdk or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:012 : groff. See References.
For Gentoo Linux: Upgrade versions sys-apps/groff-1.17.2-r2 and earlier, as listed in Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 2002-10-19 19:30 UTC. See References.
For Caldera OpenLinux 3.1 and 3.1.1 (Workstation and Server):
Upgrade to the latest groff package (1.17.2-3 or later), as listed in SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-057.0. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-059: Red Hat "groff" Vulnerability.
- Gentoo Linux Security Announcement 2002-10-19 19:30 UTC: buffer overflow.
- SCO Security Advisory CSSA-2002-057.0: Linux: groff pic buffer overflow.
- BID-3869: Groff Pre-Processor Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0003: Buffer overflow in the preprocessor in groff 1.16 and earlier allows remote attackers to gain privileges via lpd in the LPRng printing system.
- MDKSA-2002:012: Updated groff packages fix buffer overflow
- OSVDB ID: 2024: GNU groff Pre-Processor LPRng Printing System Overflow
- RHSA-2002-004: New groff packages available to fix security problems
- Gentoo Linux
- GNU Groff
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 7.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0 PPC
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.0
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1 IA64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Single Network Firewall 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1
Jan 07, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this