Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System denial of service
|ciscoios-ips-dos (78882)||Medium Risk|
Cisco IOS is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error in the Intrusion Prevention System implementation. By sending a specially-crafted DNS packet, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the device to reload.
Denial of Service
Refer to cisco-sa-20120926-ios-ips for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- cisco-sa-20120926-ios-ips: Cisco IOS Software Intrusion Prevention System Denial of Service Vulnerability.
- BID-55695: Cisco IOS CVE-2012-3950 Remote Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-3950: The Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) feature in Cisco IOS 12.3 through 12.4 and 15.0 through 15.2, in certain configurations of enabled categories and missing signatures, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (device reload) via DNS packets, aka Bug ID CSCtw55976.
- OSVDB ID: 85815: Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System Malformed DNS Packet Parsing Remote DoS
- SA50777: Cisco IOS Intrusion Prevention System DNS Packet Handling Denial of Service Vulnerability
- Cisco IOS 12.4
- Cisco IOS 15.0
- Cisco IOS 15.1
- Cisco IOS 15.2
Sep 26, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.