Cisco IOS tunneled denial of service
|ciscoios-tunneled-dos (78883)||Medium Risk|
Cisco IOS is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error when handling certain tunneled packets. By sending tunneled IP packets, a remote attacker could exploit this vulnerability to cause the device to be unable to process traffic on the affected interface.
Denial of Service
Refer to cisco-sa-20120926-c10k-tunnels for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
- cisco-sa-20120926-c10k-tunnels: Cisco IOS Software Tunneled Traffic Queue Wedge Vulnerability .
- BID-55696: Cisco IOS Queue Wedge CVE-2012-4620 Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-4620: Cisco IOS 12.2 and 15.0 through 15.2 on Cisco 10000 series routers, when a tunnel interface exists, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (interface queue wedge) via tunneled (1) GRE/IP, (2) IPIP, or (3) IPv6 in IPv4 packets, aka Bug ID CSCts66808.
- OSVDB ID: 85811: Cisco IOS Malformed Tunneled Packet Handling Remote DoS
- SA50771: Cisco IOS Cisco 10000 Series Routers Tunneled Packets Handling Denial of Service Vulnerability
- Cisco IOS 12.4
- Cisco IOS 15.0
- Cisco IOS 15.1
- Cisco IOS 15.2
Sep 26, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.