Siemens wireless invalid SMS denial of service
|siemens-invalid-sms-dos (7902)||Medium Risk|
Some Siemens wireless phones using the PDU (Protocol Description Unit) standard for the display of SMS (Short Message Service) messages are vulnerable to a denial of service attack. If a remote attacker sends an SMS message containing certain invalid characters to a vulnerable mobile recipient, the attacker can cause the mobile device to shut down when attempting to display the message.
Denial of Service
Contact Siemens Regional Support Center for information on obtaining a software upgrade. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Jan 13 2002 - 20:25:38 CST: Siemens Mobie SMS Exceptional Character Vulnerability.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Jan 30 2002 - 16:00:54 CST: RE:Siemens Mobile Phone SMS Denial of Service Vulnerability.
- Siemens Web site: Siemens.
- BID-3870: Siemens Mobile Phone SMS Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0122: Siemens 3568i WAP mobile phones allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) via an SMS message containing unusual characters.
- OSVDB ID: 14251: Siemens 3568i WAP Mobile Phone Malformed SMS Message DoS
- Siemens 3568i WAP
Jan 14, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this