ClanLib long environment variable buffer overflow
|clanlib-long-env-bo (7905)||High Risk|
ClanLib is vulnerable to a buffer overflow caused by improper bounds checking on some environment variables. By setting the HOME environment variable to a character string containing 9000 bytes or more, a local attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with elevated privileges.
No remedy available as of December 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Jan 14 2002 - 18:56:09 CST: Clanlib overflow / Super Methane Brothers overflow.
- ClanLib Web site: ClanLib Game SDK.
- BID-3877: ClanLib Environment Variable Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0125: Buffer overflow in ClanLib library 0.5 may allow local users to execute arbitrary code in games that use the library, such as (1) Super Methane Brothers, (2) Star War, (3) Kwirk, (4) Clankanoid, and others, via a long HOME environment variable.
- OSVDB ID: 10612: ClanLib Game Library HOME Variable Overflow
- ClanLib ClanLib 5.0
Jan 14, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this