Lucent VitalNet could allow an attacker to gain unauthorized access
|vitalnet-unauth-access (7936)||Medium Risk|
VitalNet could allow a remote attacker to gain unauthorized access to the Web server, caused by a vulnerability in VitalNet's cookie-based authentication mechanism. If a remote attacker can guess the name of a valid user, access would be granted to the attacker without requiring a password.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Lucent Technologies, Inc. VitalSuite Security Bulletin #00201. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Feb 05 2002 - 15:25:41 CST: Published Report of Vulnerability in Lucent VitalSuite Software.
- Lucent Technologies Web site: VitalNet.
- Lucent Technologies, Inc. VitalSuite Security Bulletin #00201: VS URL, No Passwords. (Appears as an attachment to the message at http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/254259.)
- BID-3784: Lucent VitalNet Password Authentication Bypass Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0236: Lucent VitalSuite 8.0 through 8.2, including VitalNet, VitalEvent, and VitalHelp/VitalAnalysis, allows remote attackers to bypass authentication via a direct HTTP request to the VsSetCookie.exe program, which returns a valid cookie for the desired user.
- OSVDB ID: 4261: Lucent VitalNet VsSetCookie.exe Direct Request Authentication Bypass
- Lucent VitalNet 8.0
Jan 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this