Maelstrom /tmp/f symlink attack
|maelstrom-tmp-symlink (7939)||Medium Risk|
Maelstrom GPL could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. Maelstrom creates the /tmp/f file insecurely. A local attacker could use this vulnerability to create a symbolic link from the /tmp/f to any file on the system and cause the targeted file to be overwritten once Maelstrom is executed.
No remedy available as of September 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Jan 20 2002 - 03:16:30 CST: Maelstrom 1.4.3 abartity file overwrite.
- Maelstrom Web site: Maelstrom 3.0.
- BID-3911: Maelstrom Insecure Symbolic Link Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0141: Maelstrom GPL 3.0.1 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files of other Maelstrom users via a symlink attack on the /tmp/f file.
- OSVDB ID: 10621: Maelstrom GPL Symlink File Overwrite
- Sam Lantinga Maelstrom GPL 3.0.1
Jan 20, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this