Kerberos 5 (k5su) utility allows an attacker to gain elevated privileges
|kerberos5-k5su-elevate-privileges (7956)||High Risk|
The (k5su) utility in Kerberos 5 could allow a local attacker to gain elevated privileges. The (k5su) utility uses the getlogin() system call to determine if the current user is (root). If a process is started with root privileges, a local attacker using the (k5su) utility can gain root privileges on the system.
For FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE:
Upgrade to the latest version of FreeBSD (4.4-STABLE dated 2002-01-15 or later), as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-02:07. See References.
For FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE:
Upgrade to the latest version of FreeBSD (4.4-RELEASE dated 2002-01-17 or later), as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-02:07. See References.
— OR —
Apply the k5su patch, as listed in FreeBSD, Inc. Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-02:07. See References.
- FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-02:07: Kerberos 5 su command uses getlogin for authorization.
- BID-3919: Kerberos 5 su Privilege Escalation Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0754: Kerberos 5 su (k5su) in FreeBSD 4.4 and earlier relies on the getlogin system call to determine if the user running k5su is root, which could allow a root-initiated process to regain its privileges after it has dropped them.
- OSVDB ID: 4892: Kerberos 5 on FreeBSD k5su getlogin Local Privilege Escalation
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.4
- FreeBSD FreeBSD Ports Collection
- MIT Kerberos 5
Jan 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this