GNU Chess remote command buffer overflow
|gnu-chess-bo (7991)||High Risk|
GNU Chess is vulnerable to a buffer overflow caused by improper validation of user-supplied input. By sending a specially-crafted command to the GNU Chess program, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary commands on the system.
Upgrade to the latest version of GNU Chess (5.03beta or later), available from the GNU FTP site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Jan 24 2002 - 07:42:08 CST: gnuchess buffer overflow vulnerabilty.
- GNU FTP site: /pub/gnu/chess/.
- GNU Project Web site: Chess.
- BID-3949: GNU Chess Command Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0204: Buffer overflow in GNU Chess (gnuchess) 5.02 and earlier, if modified or used in a networked capacity contrary to its own design as a single-user application, may allow local or remote attackers to execute arbitrary code via a long command.
- OSVDB ID: 59553: GNU Chess (gnuchess) Command Handling Overflow
- GNU Chess 5.02
Jan 24, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this