Tarantella Enterprise gunzip /tmp file race condition could allow command execution with elevated privileges
|tarantella-gunzip-tmp-race (7996)||High Risk|
Tarantella Enterprise is vulnerable to a race condition that occurs when the gunzip binary is used during installation. During installation, the gunzip[PID] binary is created in the world-writable /tmp directory with root privileges. If a local attacker overwrites this file prior to it being called by the installation script, the attacker can cause arbitrary code to be executed on the system with root privileges once the file is called.
Refer to Tarantella Security Bulletin #04 for workaround information. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Jan 26 2002 - 08:46:34 CST: Vulnerability report for Tarantella Enterprise 3..
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Apr 03 2002 - 22:19:48 CST: Exploit for Tarantella Enterprise 3 installation (BID 3966).
- Tarantella Security Bulletin #04: Incorrect file permissions during installation may allow a user to gain root privileges.
- Tarantella Web site: Tarantella Enterprise 3.
- BID-3966: Tarantella Enterprise 3 gunzip Race Condition Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0211: Race condition in the installation script for Tarantella Enterprise 3 3.01 through 3.20 creates a world-writeable temporary gunzip program before executing it, which could allow local users to execute arbitrary commands by modifying the program before it is executed.
- OSVDB ID: 2036: Tarantella Enterprise 3 gunzip Race Condition
- Tarantella Tarantella Enterprise 3.00
- Tarantella Tarantella Enterprise 3.01
- Tarantella Tarantella Enterprise 3.10
- Tarantella Tarantella Enterprise 3.11
- Tarantella Tarantella Enterprise 3.20
Jan 26, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this