K-AShare xkas /var/adm/appletalk/icons directory symlink
|kashare-xkas-icon-symlink (8002)||Medium Risk|
XInet K-AShare could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by insecure permissions on the /var/adm/appletalk/icons directory. A local attacker could replace the VOLICON file in this directory and create a symbolic link to an arbitrary file on the system, which would cause the symbolically linked file to be copied to the /var/adm/appletalk/icons directory with the file name of .HSicon once the xkas program is executed. An attacker could use this vulnerability to read arbitrary files on the system because the /var/adm/appletalk/icons directory is world-readable.
For SGI IRIX:
Follow the instructions for securing your system or upgrade to the latest version of SGI IRIX (6.5.16 or later), as listed in SGI Security Advisory 20020604-01-I. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Jan 28 2002 - 03:06:16 CST: [ Hackerslab bug_paper ] Xkas application vulnerability.
- SGI Security Advisory 20020604-01-I: Xinet K-Talk Appletalk(tm) xkas vulnerability.
- xinetd Web site: K-AShare.
- BID-3969: XInet K-AShare XKAS Program World Writable Icon Directory Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0213: xkas in Xinet K-AShare 0.011.01 for IRIX allows local users to read arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the VOLICON file, which is copied to the .HSicon file in a shared directory.
- OSVDB ID: 5341: Xinet K-AShare xkas Symlink Read Arbitrary File
- XInet K-AShare 11.01
Jan 28, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this