BRU /tmp file symlink attack
|bru-tmp-file-symlink (8003)||Medium Risk|
BRU (The Backup and Restore Utility) could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack, caused by various shell scripts that create easily predictable file names in the /tmp directory. A local attacker could create a symbolic link from a file in the /tmp directory to an arbitrary file on the system to overwrite the file with elevated privileges once the affected script is executed.
Upgrade to the latest version of BRU (126.96.36.199.1 or later), available from The TOLIS Group, Inc.'s Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri Sep 13 2002 - 17:20:03 CDT: Re: Race condition in BRU Workstation 17.0.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Jan 26 2002 - 04:00:55 CST: bru backup program.
- The TOLIS Group, Inc. Web site: BRU.
- BID-3970: BRU SetLicense Script Insecure Temporary File Symbolic Link Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0210: setlicense for TOLIS Group Backup and Restore Utility (BRU) 17.0 allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on the /tmp/brutest.$$ temporary file.
- OSVDB ID: 14894: BRU setlicense Symlink Arbitrary File Overwrite
- TOLIS Group BRU 17.0
Jan 26, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this