Xen guest_physmap_mark_populate_on_demand() denial of service
|xen-guestphysmapmark-dos (80483)||Medium Risk|
Xen is vulnerable to a denial of service, caused by an error in the guest_physmap_mark_populate_on_demand() function when checking that the subject GFNs are not in use. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability using unknown attack vectors to cause the application to hang.
Denial of Service
Refer to Xen Security Advisory 30 for patch, upgrade or suggested workaround information. See References.
For other distributions:
Apply the appropriate update for your system. See References.
- CTX135777: Citrix XenServer Multiple Security Updates.
- Xen Security Advisory 30: Broken error handling in guest_physmap_mark_populate_on_demand().
- BID-56803: Xen CVE-2012-5514 Local Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2012-5514: The guest_physmap_mark_populate_on_demand function in Xen 4.2 and earlier does not properly unlock the subject GFNs when checking if they are in use, which allows local guest HVM administrators to cause a denial of service (hang) via unspecified vectors.
- DSA-2582: xen -- several vulnerabilities
- OSVDB ID: 88130: Xen guest_physmap_mark_populate_on_demand() Function Subject GFN Use Check Local DoS
- SA51397: Xen Multiple Vulnerabilities
- SA51486: Citrix XenServer Multiple Vulnerabilities
- Citrix XenServer 5.0
- Citrix XenServer 5.5
- Citrix XenServer 5.6
- Citrix XenServer 6.0
- Citrix XenServer 6.1
- XenSource Xen 3.0
- XenSource Xen 4.1
- XenSource Xen 4.1.1
- XenSource Xen 4.1.2
Dec 03, 2012
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.