Castelle FaxPress could expose plaintext username and password
|faxpress-plaintext-password (8086)||Low Risk|
Castelle FaxPress could allow a local attacker to obtain the FaxPress authentication information. If a local attacker sends a print request to a network print queue, but enters the wrong username, an error message would be added to the FaxPress notices that contain the correct username and password in plain text. If the same username and password for FaxPress is used for other network resources, the attacker could use this vulnerability to gain unauthorized access to restricted resources.
No remedy available as of July 1, 2014.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Feb 05 2002 - 10:17:06 CST: Castelle Faxpress: Password used for NT Print queue can be discl osed in Plain Text.
- Castelle Web site: FaxPress - network fax server.
- BID-4030: Castelle Faxpress Plaintext Password Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0235: Castelle FaxPress, possibly 6.3 and other versions, when configured to use the Network print queue, allows attackers to obtain the username and password by submitting an incorrect login, which causes Faxpress to leak the correct username and password in plaintext in an error event.
- OSVDB ID: 14335: Castelle FaxPress Error Event Authentication Credential Disclosure
- Castelle FaxPress 6.3
Feb 05, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this