libvirt virNetMessageFree() code execution
|libvirt-virnetmessagefree-code-exec (81552)||High Risk|
libvirt could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system, caused by an use-after-free error in the virNetMessageFree() function. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to execute arbitrary code on the system with root privileges.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability, available from the libvirt GIT Repository. See References.
- libvirt GIT Repository: Fix crash on error paths of message dispatching.
- libvirt Web site: libvirt: The virtualization API.
- Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 893450: CVE-2013-0170 libvirt: use-after-free in virNetMessageFree().
- BID-57578: libvirt 'virNetMessageFree()' Function Use After Free Code Execution Vulnerability
- CVE-2013-0170: Use-after-free vulnerability in the virNetMessageFree function in rpc/virnetserverclient.c in libvirt 1.0.x before 1.0.2, 0.10.2 before 0.10.2.3, 0.9.11 before 0.9.11.9, and 0.9.6 before 0.9.6.4 allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code by triggering certain errors during an RPC connection, which causes a message to be freed without being removed from the message queue.
- SA52003: libvirt "virNetMessageFree()" Use-After-Free Vulnerability
- RedHat libvirt 1.0.1
Jan 29, 2013
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.