FastTrack P2P message service allows remote attacker to spoof identity
|fasttrack-message-service-spoof (8272)||Low Risk|
The message service in FastTrack P2P technologies could allow a remote attacker to spoof another user's identity. A remote attacker could send a specially-crafted GET request to port 1214 (message port) to spoof another user?s identity. By default, FastTrack P2P technologies clients listen on port 1214.
Upgrade to the latest version of KaZaA (1.5 or later), available from the KaZaA Download page. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version of Grokster (1.5 or later), available from the Grokster Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Feb 21 2002 - 21:38:53 CST: Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster Remote DoS. Also Identity faking vulnerability..
- Grokster Web site: Grokster for p2p or person to person file sharing.
- KaZaA Download page: KaZaA Media Desktop 1.5 - Downloads.
- BID-4121: FastTrack P2P Technology Message Service Identity Spoofing Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0315: fasttrack p2p, as used in (1) KaZaA, (2) grokster, and (3) morpheus allows remote attackers to spoof other users by modifying the username and network information in the message header.
- OSVDB ID: 59555: fasttrack Crafted Message Header Remote User Spoofing
- Grokster Grokster prior to 1.5
- Music City Networks Morpheus 1.3
- Sharman Networks KaZaA prior to 1.5
Feb 22, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this