FastTrack P2P message service denial of service
|fasttrack-message-service-dos (8273)||Medium Risk|
The message service in FastTrack P2P technologies is vulnerable to a denial of service. A remote attacker can consume all available resources and crash the system by sending messages to the clients.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of KaZaA (1.5 or later), available from the KaZaA Download page. See References.
Upgrade to the latest version of Grokster (1.5 or later), available from the Grokster Web site. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Feb 21 2002 - 21:38:53 CST: Morpheus, Kazaa and Grokster Remote DoS. Also Identity faking vulnerability..
- Grokster Web site: Grokster for p2p or person to person file sharing.
- KaZaA Download page: KaZaA Media Desktop 1.5 - Downloads.
- BID-4122: FastTrack P2P Technology Message Service Denial Of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0314: fasttrack p2p, as used in (1) KaZaA before 1.5, (2) grokster, and (3) morpheus allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (memory exhaustion) via a series of client-to-client messages, which pops up new windows per message.
- OSVDB ID: 59554: fasttrack Client-to-client Message Saturation Remote DoS
- Grokster Grokster prior to 1.5
- Music City Networks Morpheus 1.3
- Sharman Networks KaZaA prior to 1.5
Feb 22, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this