lighttpd /tmp directory symlink
|lighttpd-cve20131427-symlink (82897)||Medium Risk|
lighttpd could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. Various applications create insecure temporary files in the /tmp directory. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability to create symbolic links from these files to other files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files with elevated privileges.
Apply the appropriate patch for this vulnerability, available from the lighttpd Web site. See References.
- lighttpd Web site: Home - Lighttpd - fly light.
- seclists Web site: lighttpd security update.
- BID-58528: lighttpd CVE-2013-1427 Insecure Temporary File Creation Vulnerability
- CVE-2013-1427: The configuration file for the FastCGI PHP support for lighthttpd before 1.4.28 on Debian GNU/Linux creates a socket file with a predictable name in /tmp, which allows local users to hijack the PHP control socket and perform unauthorized actions such as forcing the use of a different version of PHP via a symlink attack or a race condition.
- DSA-2649: lighttpd -- fixed socket name in world-writable directory
- lighttpd lighttpd 1.4.31
Mar 15, 2013
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.