Xtell log symlink
|xtell-log-symlink (8314)||Medium Risk|
The Xtell package could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. A local attacker can create a symbolic link to the '.xtell-log' file to overwrite arbitrary files on the system.
For Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 (potato):
Upgrade to the latest version of xtell (1.91.1 or later), as listed in DSA 121-1. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Wed Feb 27 2002 - 04:31:29 CST: Remote exploit against xtelld and other fun.
- BID-4197: xtell Log File Symbolic Link Attack
- CVE-2002-0334: xtell (xtelld) 1.91.1 and earlier, and 2.x before 2.7, allows local users to modify files via a symlink attack on the .xtell-log file.
- DSA-090: xtel -- symlink attack
- DSA-121: xtell -- buffer overflow
- OSVDB ID: 14348: xtell (xtelld) .xtell-log Symlink Arbitrary File Modification
- Debian Debian Linux 2.2
- Xtell Xtell 2.6.1
Feb 27, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this