Ntop traceEvent() function format string
|ntop-traceevent-format-string (8347)||High Risk|
Ntop is vulnerable to a format string attack in the traceEvent() function, which could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary code on the system.
Upgrade to the latest Snapshot version of ntop (dated after March 1, 2002), available from the ntop snapshop Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2002-04-11 17:47:33: re: gobbles ntop alert.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2002-04-17 17:13:04: segfault in ntop.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Mar 04 2002 - 06:46:18 CST: [H20020304]: Remotely exploitable format string vulnerability in ntop.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Mar 05 2002 - 07:44:46 CST: RE: [H20020304]: Remotely exploitable format string vulnerability in ntop.
- Gobbles Security Advisory #31: Preauthentication Remote Root Hole in NTOP.
- ntop snapshop Web site: The NTOP community page.
- Ntop-dev Mailing List, Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:46:14 +0100: ntop - format string bug in traceEvent.
- BID-4225: ntop Remote Format String Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0412: Format string vulnerability in TraceEvent function for ntop before 2.1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code by causing format strings to be injected into calls to the syslog function, via (1) an HTTP GET request, (2) a user name in HTTP authentication, or (3) a password in HTTP authentication.
- OSVDB ID: 5307: ntop traceEvent() Function Format String Arbitrary Code Execution
- Luca Deri ntop 2.0
Mar 04, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this