Web+ webpsvc.exe buffer overflow
|webplus-webpsvc-bo (8361)||High Risk|
Web+ is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the webpsvc.exe system service. By sending an overly long URL request to webplus.exe, which would be passed to webpsvc.exe, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with SYSTEM privileges or cause the Web+ server to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Webplus 4.6 (build 562 or later) or Webplus 5.0 (build 555 or later), as listed in the talentsoft Knowledge Base Issue WP943. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2002-03-05 17:55:06: Buffer Overrun in Talentsoft's Web+ (#NISR01032002A).
- NGSSoftware Insight Security Research Advisory #NISR05032002A: Web+ Buffer Overflow.
- talentsoft Knowledge Base Issue WP943: Buffer overflow.
- BID-4233: TalentSoft Web+ Webpsvc Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0449: Buffer overflow in webpsvc.exe for Talentsoft Web+ 5.0 and earlier allows remote attackers execute arbitrary code via a long argument to webplus.exe program, which triggers the overflow in webpsvc.exe.
- OSVDB ID: 6783: talentsoft Web+ webpsvc.exe Long URL Remote Overflow
- US-CERT VU#159907: Talentsoft Web+ contains buffer overflow in webpsvc.exe
- TalentSoft Web+ 4.6
- TalentSoft Web+ 5.0
Mar 01, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this