SH39 MailServer port 25 denial of service
|sh39-mailserver-dos (8379)||Medium Risk|
MailServer is vulnerable to a denial of service attack caused by a buffer overflow. By establishing a Telnet connection to port 25 and sending an overly long string containing 2500 characters or more, a remote attacker can overflow a buffer and cause the mail server to crash.
Denial of Service
Upgrade to the latest version of MailServer (1.22 or later), available from the SH39 Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Tue Mar 05 2002 - 02:58:18 CST: Buffer Overflows in sh39.com's mailserver 1.21.
- SH39 Web site: MailServer.
- BID-4232: MailServer by SH39 Denial of Service Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0416: Buffer overflow in SH39 MailServer 1.21 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service, and possibly execute arbitrary code, via a long command to the SMTP port.
- OSVDB ID: 9831: SH39 MailServer Remote Overflow
- SH39 SH39 MailServer 1.21
Mar 05, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this