GNU fileutils race condition
|gnu-fileutils-race-condition (8432)||Medium Risk|
GNU fileutils is vulnerable to a race condition, which could allow a local attacker to delete arbitrary files under the root directory.
Apply the patch for this vulnerability included in the GNU Mailing List posting dated Sat, 09 Mar 2002. See References.
For Caldera OpenLinux 3.1 and 3.1.1 (Server and Workstation):
Upgrade to the latest version of fileutils (4.1-5 or later), as listed in Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-018.1. See References.
For Mandrake Linux 8.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of fileutils (4.1-4.1mdk or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:031 : fileutils. See References.
For Mandrake Linux 8.2:
Upgrade to the latest version of fileutils (4.1.5-4.1mdk or later), as listed in MandrakeSoft Security Advisory MDKSA-2002:031 : fileutils. See References.
For Red Hat Linux:
Upgrade to the latest fileutils package, as listed below. Refer to RHSA-2003:015-05 for more information. See References.
Red Hat 6.2: fileutils-4.0-21.1 or later
Red Hat 7.0: fileutils-4.0x-3.1 or later
Red Hat 7.1: fileutils-4.0.36-4.1or later
Red Hat 7.2 and 7.3: fileutils-4.1-10.1 or later
Upgrade to the latest version of fileutils (4.0x-3_imnx_1 or later), as listed in Immunix Secured OS Security Advisory IMNX-2003-7+-010-01. See References.
or Sun Linux 5.0:
Apply the appropriate patch for your system. Refer to Sun Alert ID: 56041 for more information. See References.
For other distributions:
Contact your vendor for upgrade or patch information.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sun Mar 10 2002 - 17:21:23 CST: GNU fileutils - recursive directory removal race condition.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu May 16 2002 - 06:43:25 CDT: GNU rm fileutils race condition problems on SuSE.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu May 16 2002 - 07:03:02 CDT: Re: [security-intern] [email@example.com] FWD - GNU rm fileutils race condition problems on SuSE.
- Caldera International, Inc. Security Advisory CSSA-2002-018.1: Linux: REVISED: Race condition in fileutils.
- GNU Mailing List, Sat, 09 Mar 2002: rm - recursive directory removal race condition.
- Immunix Secured OS Security Advisory IMNX-2003-7+-010-01: fileutils.
- Sun Alert ID: 56041: Sun Linux Security Vulnerability in "fileutils" Package May Give Local Users Unauthorized Privileges.
- BID-4266: GNU Fileutils Directory Removal Race Condition Vulnerability
- BID-4758: SuSE AAA_Base_Clean_Core Script RM Race Condition Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0435: Race condition in the recursive (1) directory deletion and (2) directory move in GNU File Utilities (fileutils) 4.1 and earlier allows local users to delete directories as the user running fileutils by moving a low-level directory to a higher level as it is being deleted, which causes fileutils to chdir to a .. directory that is higher than expected, possibly up to the root file system.
- MDKSA-2002:031: Updated fileutils packages fix race condition in rm
- RHSA-2003-015: Updated fileutils package fixes race condition in recursive operations
- RHSA-2003-016: fileutils security update
- GNU fileutils 4.0
- GNU fileutils 4.1
- GNU fileutils 4.1.6
- Immunix Immunix OS 7+-beta
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.1 IA64
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2
- MandrakeSoft Mandrake Linux 8.2 PPC
- RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 AS
- RedHat Linux 6.2
- RedHat Linux 7
- RedHat Linux 7.1
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for iSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.1 for pSeries
- RedHat Linux 7.2
- RedHat Linux 7.3
- RedHat Linux Advanced Workstation 2.1 Itanium
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Server 3.1.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1
- SCO Caldera OpenLinux Workstation 3.1.1
- Sun Linux 5.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 6.4
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.0
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.1
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.2
- SUSE SuSE Linux 7.3
Mar 10, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this