Big Sam "safe_mode" option reveals Web root path information
|bigsam-safemode-path-disclosure (8479)||Low Risk|
Built-In Guestbook Stand-Alone Module (Big Sam) could allow a remote attacker to obtain the real path of the Web root directory. If the safe_mode option is enabled, a remote attacker can send a specially-crafted HTTP request containing a large number in the $displayBegin variable in the bigsam_guestbook.php script to cause an error message to return that would contain the real path of the Web root directory.
Upgrade to the latest version of Big Sam (1.1.09 or later), available from the Big Sam Web site. See References.
- Big Sam Web site: bigsam.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Mon Mar 18 2002 - 17:31:23 CST: [ARL02-A11] Big Sam (Built-In Guestbook Stand-Alone Module) Multiple Vulnerabilities.
- BID-4312: Big Sam Web Root Disclosure Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0462: bigsam_guestbook.php for Big Sam (Built-In Guestbook Stand-Alone Module) 1.1.08 and earlier allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) or obtain the absolute path of the web server via a displayBegin parameter with a very large number, which leaks the web path in an error message when PHP safe_mode is enabled, or consumes resources when safe_mode is not enabled.
- OSVDB ID: 5287: Big Sam bigsam_guestbook.php Path Disclosure
- OSVDB ID: 5288: Big Sam bigsam_guestbook.php DoS
- Georges Zadrozynski & Rémi Lecoupé-Grainville Big Sam prior to 1.1.09
Mar 18, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this