Eudora stores attachments in a known directory
|eudora-insecure-attachment-directory (8487)||Low Risk|
Eudora stores email attachments in a predictable location. A remote attacker could send an email with a URL that opens a malicious email attachment containing embedded script, which once executed, could be used to retrieve the contents of any local file on the victim's computer. An attacker could use this vulnerability to obtain sensitive information.
No remedy available as of December 1, 2013.
- BugTraq Mailing List, 2002-03-15 17:33:21: MSIE vulnerability exploitable with IncrediMail.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Sat Mar 16 2002 - 10:23:16 CST: MSIE vulnerability exploitable with Eudora (was: IncrediMail).
- Eudora Web site: Welcome to Eudora!.
- iDEFENSE Security Advisory 11.19.02b:: Eudora Script Execution Vulnerability.
- BID-4306: Qualcomm Eudora Known File Attachment Location Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0456: Eudora 5.1 and earlier versions stores attachments in a directory with a fixed name, which could make it easier for attackers to exploit vulnerabilities in other software that rely on installing and reading files from directories with known pathnames.
- CVE-2002-1210: Qualcomm Eudora 5.1.1, 5.2, and possibly other versions stores email attachments in a predictable location, which allows remote attackers to read arbitrary files via a link that loads an attachment with malicious script into a frame, which then executes the script in the local browser context.
- OSVDB ID: 13518: Eudora Predictable Attachment Directory Name Weakness
- Qualcomm Eudora 5.2 and prior
Mar 16, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this