Ansible playbook symlink
|ansible-cve20134260-symlink (86898)||Medium Risk|
Ansible could allow a local attacker to launch a symlink attack. Temporary files are created insecurely within /var/tmp directory on failed run of playbook. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by creating a symbolic link from a temporary file to various files on the system, which could allow the attacker to overwrite arbitrary files on the system with elevated privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of Ansible (1.2.3 or later), available from the Ansible Web site. See References.
- Ansible GIT Repository Web Site: Ansible GIT Repository.
- Ansible Project Web Site: Ansible Project.
- Ansible Web Site: Ansible.
- Red Hat Bugzilla ¿ Bug 998227: CVE-2013-4260 ansible: predictible filename used for failed result in world writable directory.
- CVE-2013-4260: lib/ansible/playbook/__init__.py in Ansible 1.2.x before 1.2.3, when playbook does not run due to an error, allows local users to overwrite arbitrary files via a symlink attack on a retry file with a predictable name in /var/tmp/ansible/.
- SA54686: Ansible Two Insecure Temporary File Creation Security Issues
- Ansible Ansible 1.2
- Ansible Ansible 1.2.1
- Ansible Ansible 1.2.2
Aug 30, 2013
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this
* According to the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST), the Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS) is an "industry open standard designed to convey vulnerability severity and help to determine urgency and priority of response." IBM PROVIDES THE CVSS SCORES "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CUSTOMERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ASSESSING THE IMPACT OF ANY ACTUAL OR POTENTIAL SECURITY VULNERABILITY.
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall IBM be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.