FreeBSD libutil in OpenSSH fails to drop privileges prior to using the login class capability database
|bsd-libutil-privilege-dropping (8697)||Medium Risk|
The libutil library fails to drop privileges properly before using the login class capability database. A local attacker could exploit this vulnerability by specifying different "welcome" or "copyright" files in ~/.login_conf to read arbitrary files on the system with superuser privileges.
Upgrade to the latest version of FreeBSD (4.5-RELEASE or later), available from the FreeBSD FTP site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Sep 20 2001 - 14:48:34 CDT: Local vulnerability in libutil derived with FreeBSD 4.4-RC (and earlier).
- FreeBSD, Inc. FTP site: /pub/FreeBSD/.
- FreeBSD, Inc. Web site: FreeBSD 4.5 Announcement.
- CVE-2001-1029: libutil in OpenSSH on FreeBSD 4.4 and earlier does not drop privileges before verifying the capabilities for reading the copyright and welcome files, which allows local users to bypass the capabilities checks and read arbitrary files by specifying alternate copyright or welcome files.
- OSVDB ID: 6073: OpenSSH on FreeBSD libutil Arbitrary File Read
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.1
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.1.1
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.2
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.3
- FreeBSD FreeBSD 4.4
Sep 20, 2001
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this