Linux xosview HOME environment variable buffer overflow
|linux-xosview-bo (8787)||High Risk|
xosview is vulnerable to a buffer overflow. By setting the HOME environment variable to an overly large value, a local attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system with root privileges.
For Red Hat Linux 5.1:
Upgrade to the latest version of xosview (1.5.1-4 or later), as listed in Red Hat Linux 5.1General Errata. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Fri, 29 May 1998 18:14:22 +0100: Re: Tiresome security hole in "xosview" (xosexp.c).
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu, 28 May 1998 04:49:17 +0100: ALERT: Tiresome security hole in "xosview", RedHat5.1?.
- Red Hat Linux 5.1 General Errata: xosview.
- BID-362: Linux xosview Vulnerability
- CVE-1999-1490: xosview 1.5.1 in Red Hat 5.1 allows local users to gain root access via a long HOME environmental variable.
- OSVDB ID: 7393: Red Hat Linux xosview HOME Variable Overflow
- RedHat Linux 5.1
- RedHat xosview 1.5.1
May 27, 1998
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this