Microsoft IIS redirected URL error cross-site scripting
|iis-redirected-url-error-css (8804)||Medium Risk|
Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) is vulnerable to cross-site scripting. A remote attacker could embed malicious script within a URL link to a redirected Web page on an affected IIS Web server, which would cause an error page to be returned to the victim and the embedded script to be executed in the victim's Web browser under the security context of the affected IIS server once the link is clicked. An attacker could use this vulnerability to steal cookies from IIS Web sites or the victim's computer, hijack Hotmail or MSN Messenger accounts, or gain elevated privileges using ActiveX components.
Apply the appropriate patch for your system, as listed in Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-062. See References.
Microsoft originally provided a patch for this vulnerability in MS02-018, but it was superseded by the patch released with MS02-062, and then superseded by the patch released with MS03-018. See References.
Note: This vulnerability also affects serveral Cisco products running IIS. For affected products and upgrade or patch information refer to Cisco Security Advisory: Cisco Security Advisory: Microsoft IIS Vulnerabilities in Cisco Products - MS02-018. See References.
- CERT Advisory CA-2002-09: Multiple Vulnerabilities in Microsoft IIS.
- CIAC Information Bulletin M-066: Microsoft Cumulative Patch for Internet Information Services (IIS) Vulnerabilities.
- Cisco Systems Inc. Security Advisory, 2002 April 15 18:00 (UTC -0400): Microsoft IIS Vulnerabilities in Cisco Products - MS02-018.
- Internet Security Systems Security Alert #114: Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities in Microsoft IIS.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 317035: MS02-018: Patch Available for Cross-Site Scripting in Redirect Response Message Vulnerability.
- Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 319733: MS02-018: April 2002 Cumulative Patch for Internet Information Services.
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-018: Cumulative Patch for Internet Information Services (Q319733).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS02-062: Cumulative Patch for Internet Information Service (Q327696).
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-018: Cumulative Patch for Internet Information Service (811114).
- National Infrastructure Protection Center Advisory 02-002: Multiple Remote Vulnerabilities in Microsoft's Internet Information Services (IIS).
- SNS Advisory No.49: A Possibility of Internet Information Server/Services Cross Site Scripting.
- BID-4487: Microsoft IIS HTTP Redirect Cross Site Scripting Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0075: Cross-site scripting vulnerability for Internet Information Server (IIS) 4.0, 5.0 and 5.1 allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary script as other web users via the error message used in a URL redirect (302 Object Moved) message.
- OSVDB ID: 3341: Microsoft IIS Redirect Response XSS
- US-CERT VU#520707: Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) contains cross-site scripting vulnerability in redirect response messages
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 4.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 5.0
- Microsoft Internet Information Server 5.1
Apr 10, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this