IBM Tivoli Storage Manager client port 1581 buffer overflow
|tivoli-storagemanager-client-bo (8817)||High Risk|
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager client is vulnerable to a buffer overflow in the Client Acceptor. By sending a character string containing 1292 bytes or more to the Client Acceptor listening on port 1581, a remote attacker could overflow a buffer and execute arbitrary code on the system or cause the Storage Manager client to crash.
Upgrade to the latest version of Tivoli Storage Manager (5.1.0 or later), available from the Tivoli Web site. See References.
- BugTraq Mailing List, Thu Apr 11 2002 - 11:48:53 CDT: iXsecurity.20020327.tivoli_tsm_dsmcad.a.
- Tivoli Web site: Tivoli Customer Support - Tivoli Storage Manager.
- BID-4492: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Client Acceptor Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- BID-4500: IBM Tivoli Storage Manager Long Username Buffer Overflow Vulnerability
- CVE-2002-0541: Buffer overflow in Tivoli Storage Manager TSM (1) Server or Storage Agents 3.1 through 5.1, and (2) the TSM Client Acceptor Service 4.2 and 5.1, allows remote attackers to cause a denial of service (crash) and possibly execute arbitrary code via a long HTTP GET request to port 1580 or port 1581.
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 4.2
- IBM Tivoli Storage Manager 4.2.1
Apr 11, 2002
The information within this database may change without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an AS IS condition. There are NO warranties, implied or otherwise, with regard to this information or its use. Any use of this information is at the user's risk. In no event shall the author/distributor (IBM Internet Security Systems X-Force) be held liable for any damages whatsoever arising out of or in connection with the use or spread of this information.
For corrections or additions please email ignore thisxforceignore this@ignore thisus.ignore thisibm.comignore this